2010-03-13

Twin Peaks vs. Grey's Anatomy

Until very recently, my only exposure to Twin Peaks was half an episode seen 20 or so years ago, and listening for hours to the score looping ad nauseam in an ex girlfriend's car for months. I progressively came to hate Angelo Badalamenti, but I hated driving more, so I put up with the music. Since then, I have been unable to watch a single episode past the opening credits.
Anyway.
I usually like Lynch, so I bought the Twin Peaks DVDs when they came out a few years ago, but I hadn't gotten around to watching then since.
Until now that is.
And I like it. There are quite a few characters that I like, my favourites being Audrey Horne and Maj. Briggs. The seer with the log before the opening credits is nice too. The story is typically Lynchian, which means to me nice for an hour or three, and hardly bearable beyond that.
And what do I do when I am bored watching DVDs? I pump iron. Then the boredom induced by the show strangely abates, as if both boredom sources were working against each other to keep me focused on something else I have running in my mind. I find this very satisfying in a weird way.

Until now, my favourite show for weight lifting was Grey's Anatomy. It is in no way comparable to Twin Peaks. Grey's Anatomy sheer inanity is at first compelling then extremely annoying. Twin Peaks has the same effect to me: its sheer strangeness is at first attractive then profoundly annoying. Add the score and the annoyance becomes insufferable. Until I pick up the weights. Then it becomes bearable again.
You can pick up Grey's Anatomy at any time, and you will understand it all. When you pick up Twin Peaks at random, you won't understand a single thing.

So, for completely different reasons but according to the very same weird process, these two series make perfect weight lifting background.

Something must be very wrong with me :-)

No comments: