2011-01-25

Hospital life

So, my dad fell on the floor on the 4th of August. He is still in revalidation now, and he is not getting better. October saw a dramatic improvement, but he has been regressing since then. He was scheduled for surgery a few days ago, and even if he seems to be better, to me at least, his doctors are seeing very little progress. I have observed that he is now able to cross his legs, even if walking is still past him. He didn't receive the surgery he was scheduled to, the post op exam happened too early, and, from what I can deduce, he seems to be treated for both his stroke and Parkinson disease. The last one was supposed to have been excluded a few years ago, but perhaps was it too early by then. I can understand that treatments can be conflicting, but I have a hard time understanding why he is not treated fully. Still, he seems to be taking it all in stride, which is reassuring. He is no longer confused, and the spinal fluid drain seems to have had some very positive effects. As long as he is reasonably well, what can I say? I would like him to start accepting visits from friends, but he doesn't want them. He has been spending months with nurses and a television for company. He no longer reads much, but he is very articulate and has, surprisingly, a lot to say. 
I do not know how to end this post. No clever remark, no clear ending, even though I would very much like this situation to come to an end and close this chapter, to be able to put this behind me, not having to worry any more. Well, it is still ongoing, so I'll leave it at that.

No comments: