2010-02-23

Essential iPhone apps

Note: I started listing apps, then thought about linking them. The obvious place to start was the Apple web site. I have never found out how to search for an app from this site without having to launch the dreaded iTunes. As usual, a little googling brought me right on track.

Free
  • Google: your Google stuff made available from a single place, but launched in Safari. Your Google apps stuff too, which is really nice.
  • Wapedia: let's face it, the Wikipedia mobile site is bad. Their dedicated iPhone app is worst. Wapedia gives you bookmarks, contents table, and access to other wikis from the same interface.
  • Tellmewhere: rate your favourite places, find people who share your tastes, get recommendations. It works pretty much anywhere: what aroundme could have been but isn't. Pretty much invaluable when you are lost in the city, looking for a restaurant you will like.
  • Linkedin: like the web site, easier to use and integrates with your contacts.
  • Kindle: Amazon's book reader.
  • Kobo: Kobo's book reader.
  • Stanza: Generic book reader.
  • Shazam: ever wondered what is this tune you are hearing? Shazam will find it for you.
  • Radio.BE: streamed Belgian radio stations.
  • TV Gids Belgïe Lite: a TV guide in Dutch. As I do not have a TV nor do I speak Dutch, that's fine :-)
Paying
  • Sleep Cycle: an app I have found there. It wakes you up gently when you start moving in your sheets a few minutes before your waking time. And it tells you how much you have slept, draws graphs and computes an average. My average total time is currently 4h 34m. And I was wondering why I was feeling tired these last few weeks ;-)

1 comment:

Les tests de Gridou said...

Shazam, mon nouvel ami :-)