2010-02-14

An evening with Miss B

Last Wednesday I expected to spend my evening with Miss I, then it turned out that she was busy, so I went on with plan B. Where B stands for "bof", a rare occasion for English and French meanings to strangely meet.

Miss B is a colleague's colleague. We are both "available", not working in the same unit, rare enough to jump at the opportunity. Even better: we have similar clearances so we may talk shop. As a rarely speak of anything else, it is a big plus. While I was disappointed not to see Miss I, the perspective of meeting someone with whom I may have a no-holds-barred discussion was enticing enough for me to call her and arrange a meeting that evening. Our colleague must have painted me in very favourable light, because she agreed to the meeting on very short notice.

I had known about her for a few months, and what I knew from out colleague was that she was working in a non managerial position on some mundane projects, was good looking (men's talk ;-) and quite energetic: little Miss Sunshine in Macholand. Nothing really appealing to me at the time: the same things can be said of other women I had already met, and most of them were disappointments because, mostly, what they were doing was there job, without any calling or conviction. Furthermore, I already had a bad on-the-job dating experience, and, in my world, you do not date the staff. So, well, yes, I knew about her, I knew that she might be someone nice but I didn't really wanted to meet her. I had a far better person to look for anyway.
This far better person being unavailable, and me recently resolved to look for someone else, I decided to take the the chance.
It turns out that while she is indeed good looking, possesses a great sense of style, is a great conversationalist (by my standards...) and is indeed involved in what she is working at and derives great pride out of it, she is also a freaking hippie. Not that I do not like hippies, well, I do not love them, but they have their part to play. What I cannot stand is people who do not know who they are, what they are doing, and unable to be coherent. You can have reservations, but you cannot preach against what you are enthusiastically doing.
Immediate turn-off.
So, either it was all an act, and I didn't get her humour; either it wasn't and she is truly lost.
Anyway, we both had some fun, nothing to regret, nothing to be ashamed of, and that was it. I guess that I won't be calling her soon ;-)

No comments: