2009-11-28

Blood and guts

Today, I went to see my father at the hospital. The intervention went well: everything that had to be removed is supposed to be so. Of course, we are still waiting for the biopsy results...
He was quite well for a few hours, then they had to inject some isotopes solution in his bladder to make sure that everything that shouldn't be there is killed, think of it as baby chemo.
It didn't went well.

I am hardly a qualified medic. My last "first aid" lesson was in SERE and ended by "... and if there are too much guts outside, just put it back in and make sure not to make any knots or twists, then glue the whole thing. It is bad, but your buddy's insides are supposed to be sceptic. If they aren't, you are in a deeper kind of shit." (sic). I have never had any trouble with these lessons. I have never had any trouble with blood, spilled guts or other gory conditions. The only thing is that I have always felt bad when seeing my own blood, especially when I am not in pain. Other people's blood was supposed to be a manageable situation.
Well, I have learned something today: seeing your own father slowly emptying his blood in a sterile pocket *is* troubling.

No comments: