2009-04-09

Opening

  • Coraline
Henry Selick, The Nightmare before Christmas, blah blah blah... this could go on for hours, and, remember, we are not here to talk about intents.

I may be old fashioned, but, to me, animation films are mainly targeted at children. Nonetheless, I have been known to enjoy some gritty animes, that were made specifically for an adult audience, so I am not biased against the form per se.

While Coraline tells a good story, I cannot escape the feeling that its scenario's shortcomings are supposed to be downplayed by its format, as if going by the assumption that children are not supposed to be this logical. Furthermore, the themes being explored are quite adult, and while not being strictly grown-ups subjects, they are disturbing matters. I would be curious to see how this story would look as a proper movie specifically made for an adult audience, instead of an animation film whose scenario is too weak for adults, and content is too strong for children.

No comments: