2009-04-11

Day 1

  • The Gene Generation
Perhaps was I expecting too much, or perhaps was I so eager to see this year first film that I was bound to be disappointed.
So, let's try to be objective and start with the basics. The image was bad. At first, I was thinking that it was some bad, on purpose FX supposed to add a gritty touch, then I began to wonder whether or not it was a technical issue, I mean, at this point maybe the tech staff was not up to speed yet. Then, I noticed that the sound was terrible too. Now, mistakes happen, one may have troubles with unfamiliar equipment, strange formats and/or resolution, so the image can be bad. But it takes some kind of concerted effort to screw the sound too. So, I guess that I have seen this movie as it was supposed to be shown. It was horrible.
On top of that, the scenario is as waterproof as the Titanic ; actors are either not acting or acting too much and usually the wrong way ; FX are bad, even the dark tones are not enough to mask how bad they are ; the soundtrack rarely fits the action, and transitions are ... special, for the lack of a better word. I could go on like this for hours, and it still wouldn't be enough to describe how awful this movie is.
The good point is context. Seeing this film at the Bifff allowed me to actually see it. Had I to see it at home on DVD, I wouldn't have gone past the first ten minutes.
Like a friend said: this movie is like cassoulet: you may not enjoy eating it, but the excretory part is always welcome. So, except if you have strong coprophiliac tendencies, avoid, at any cost. It really hurts.
  • Cyborg She
Temporal paradox anyone, painstakingly explained again and again and again? Happening in a sweet romantic comedy spanning a hundred years or so? A cat named Raoul? Sometimes funny, honestly made, somewhat boring: passable work, nothing splendid, but nothing really awful.
  • Dream
Let's play the association game.
Dream.
Sleep.
Bored.
Did I say boring? Yes, I said it. There are one or two funny self mutilation scenes, apart from that, well, even the premises are boring.
  • The Mutant Chronicles
Steam powered helicopters? A classical plot revolving around a fight between good and evil, and a quest? Sounds like Lord of the Rings under a steampunk mask. Well, not quite, but close. Nothing to write home about.
  • Dying Breed
Delivrance, Descent, The Hills have Eyes, ... I like those films, so I may be biased here. Let's just say that this is good, honest work, exploiting the genre while still managing to be both surprising and thrilling. The evening's best movie, by far.
  • Yoroi: Samurai Zombie
Need I say more? Good for a laugh, or two.

No comments: