2009-06-27

The empty Room

Once upon a time, in the distant province of a far away land, was a castle with an empty room. In this castle lived, of course, a princess. It so happens that she liked to go hunting. She did not really like to hunt, but she loved the horses and hounds, she liked to have a jolly good time together with the other hunters, and she enjoyed riding along the forest many paths in the shades, among the birds and the trees. Each and every day, she went hunting, came back to her castle late in the afternoon, strolled its halls and towers, before she went to sleep, making sure the spells that kept her castle clean and neat had worked as to ready the castle for the darkness to come. In her dreams, she filled the empty room, often with joy and laughters, or songs and dances, rarely with cries and tears, because she was cheerful even when she dreamt. At sunrise, she would often give a passing thought to her dreams as she was waking up, but soon the hunt was on her mind, and a-hunting she went.

One evening, as she passed by the empty room, she saw a mouse lying right in its dead centre. She looked at it, saw the blood and knew enough about these things to understand that it was freshly killed. Slightly disgusted, she took it by the tail, went to a window and threw it to the moat. As she turned toward the door she discovered a cat next to the doorstep, looking smug and somewhat amused, licking its front paw. She went to the cat, and as she approached it looked up at her, a twinkle in the eyes. She petted it, and went toward her room. As she walked, she looked back and saw the cat following her. The cat was well mannered, so it waited for her to have found her sleeping position, slightly curled on her side, to jump on the covers, scratch a little, purr appreciatively, then snuggle close to her back, radiating warmth and contentment. When she waked up, the cat was no longer at her side. Thinking nothing of it, as it was a very clean cat that left no mess, she went on following her daily routine, already anticipating gossips and chit-chats, expecting to see nice hound work and to take part in a fine chase.
A few days later, the same thing happened: a dead mouse in the empty room, and the same cat sitting there silently, a study in feline smugness. And she did as she already had: threw the mouse away, gave the cat a stroke, allowed it on a cover. And so it went for months, the cat appearing on its feline whim.

Then, one day, the game deserted the forest, victim of an ancient curse, and the hunt was cancelled. The princess took it all in one stride, acknowledged that she was becoming tired of the old hunt anyway and busied herself with preparing for a new one.
On this day, as she entered the empty room which contained still another dead mouse, she turned toward the cat, and, for the first time, addressed it "You know, you shouldn't really be bringing dead mice in here."
- "You talking to me?" said the cat.
- "But... how inordinate! A talking cat!"
- "But... how inordinate! A talking princess!"
- "Oh my, talking and cheeky too. Cats do not talk, I know it: I have had cats before, and none of them talked."
- "Then perhaps am I not a cat."
- "Sure you are: you look like one, you purr, you scratch covers, and you bring me dead mice. For which I thank you by the way."
- "Think nothing of the mice, my pleasure really. Besides, you do not seem to like them anyway."
- "I find them somewhat disgusting to be honest, but I like having a cat around to take care of the live ones, so thank you for that."
- "Thank back to you then, for giving me a warm spot to stay."
- "The least thing I could do really, it is not like I am giving you anything, it is just the way I am."
- "You are in a most gracious way then."
- "Cut the purr will you, and tell me, why are you bringing them to me? It is not like there is any rodent shortage anywhere in the realm."
- "I just told you: you are in a most gracious way. While you are not the only person I bring mice to, I must say that you are my favourite one: you smell good, you look good, you know enough about hunting, you even have a nice voice when you care to talk. There are very few people like you. And you have this empty room."
- "My, this is not really what I expected, coming from you."
- "Then let's just say that you do not roll over in your sleep and that you do not snore too loudly. Cattish enough for you?"
- "Well, I asked for it, so I cannot really complain, can I? And how does this room come into this?"
- "I do not like messes, so it seemed to be a better place than, say, your library or dressing room."
- "Thank you for your attention. However I like this room to be empty."
- "May I ask you why?"
- "You see, it is the last room I visit before I go to sleep, so I can dream of how I may arrange it."
- "Indeed, I see." said the cat knowingly, "Let's furnish it then, so I can learn about furnitures and you may dream other dreams."
- "Not so fast. I do not need you cat to help me 'furnish' my room with dead voles or whatever you may have caught."
- "Well, you said it yourself: cats do not talk. So carefully consider this: perhaps am I not a cat and thus can I find something more suitable, if you would but tell me how you wish this room to be. Consider also that I didn't exactly offered you my help, did I ? I am just like you in a way: I just do what feels natural, it is just the way I am."
- "Cats are cats, talking or not. And I wish this room empty, thank you."
- "Of course, cats are cats as princesses are princesses and as dreams are dreams, how obvious." laughed the cat "And as I cannot guess what you may been dreaming of, I can merely bring you what I already have. I think I should take my leave now. Let me know if you ever need more mice."

So the cat who talked went away, circled the castle three times pensively.
On the first round, he thought that perhaps he should learn to listen more attentively to what is being said to him, and just learn to give up. But felines do not loose easily he told himself, and he was very sure of being right anyway.
On the second one, he thought that it was not always easy to tell people what you had to tell them. And even though you may have a very precise idea of what you mean, tailoring it to suit your audience for your message to be both understood and accepted does not always come naturally.
On the third one, he pondered the virtues of being a cat, wondered whether he should go back to being a wizard, a knight or an owl, or perhaps try something new like travelling merchant, priest or fox. Then he saw a young rabbit, fresh out of its warren, thought "Fast clueless food!" and jumped it.

When a cat comes to your house, bringing mice or birds, let it be: it is but a cat. It is not helpful nor needy, it is just being a happy cat. However, when it starts talking to you, it is a sure sign you should wake up. But you already knew that I am sure ;-)

No comments: