2009-06-19

An evening with The Pickle

The Pickle and I are going way back, fifteen years or so. Friend of a friend of a friend, we used to meet once or twice a year, acquaintances at most, with nothing really significant going on. We lost touch, met again, no reason why it should not go on any differently. Not so. As to why, I do not know. She wouldn't be The Pickle if I knew. Let's just say that before her, I knew five kinds of women: part of the scenery, colleagues, agreeably dumb little tarts, doppelgänger girlfriends and confidantes. It is more four than five actually, because the doppelgänger girlfriend invariably becomes a confidante after six months to a year, when we have to agree that being so similar does not lead us to anything. The Pickle, well, she does not fall into these. As I hate exceptions, being just wired to systematize, and as I cannot make her fit my own preconceptions, it could be an explanation. Or perhaps is it that she is just way out of my usual, despite having most of what I am looking for. So, I guess, that The Pickle is a pickle because I just cannot find a way to relate unambiguously to her in a way that is both satisfying and efficient. "Efficient", she would utterly hate this word when applied to a relationship, she who readily reproaches me to call an infant or someone an "it" (well, it may be a conceptualisation/translation issue, as I usually phrase it as in "I have met someone, it was interesting.", but then again one might say that this phrasing is ambiguous). You see, The Pickle tells about herself that "I do not know about emotional intelligence, I am just emotional.". She truly believes that humanity is based upon emotions, shared feelings, and an intangible commonness of affect that may lead to mutual interest and negotiated intents. For my part, if I have to make this point clear once again, I believe that a humane relationship foundations lie in convergent intents backed up by common interests, leading to emotional entanglement. So, I am supposed to be the cold fish to her fiery bird, or something when I see it as two sides of the same coin. Truth to tell, following our respective ways do not seem to have brought us what we expected, and trying to go the other way around has left her disappointed and me in a very appropriate pickle.
So, how am I feeling about The Pickle? Good question. I feel attracted to her, to say the least, even if I cannot say why, which is also part of the pickle. But as I am not one to go clubbing baby seals just for fun and given her current predicament, I do not wish to take advantage of her situation: I would be disappointing myself, not to mention that it would very probably fire back at me anyway, so I am hardly keeping her at safe distance. Or so I believe or try to make myself believe. I just cannot escape the feeling that we are wasting a great opportunity. Then again, the current state of affair is better than having met like trains in the night.
Anyway, it was a very enjoyable evening. Once more ;-)

No comments: